Tuesday, September 16, 2008

learning curve

We have a lot to learn. Fortunately we have a few teachers and lots of support.

Sharon, a friend I went to Va. Tech with, use to work in international adoptions and has offered to lead us in any way she can. She has already given me lots of great information. In addition to three boys, Sharon adopted her daughter Kate from the Ukraine.

Ashley, an old friend of mine who also went to Va. Tech, as offered to mentor us through the adoption process. He and his wife Karen adopted their son Russell from Russia.

Jennifer, a friend of a friend, has also offered to help us in any way she can. I have never met Jennifer, but we've spoken on the phone and emailed. Jennifer and her husband have a daughter through domestic adoption. Wow, the kindness of strangers.

My family is already getting bigger :)

We have not decided whether we will do a domestic or international adoption. From what I've read, there are a lot of children in orphanages abroad, and in some ways, international adoption is preferred because these children have already been given up, therefore, there is little to no chance their birth parents would want to take them back.

I am also looking into grants to help us defray the cost of adoption. Sharon has given me a list to go through. She also gave me a checklist of things we need to do and collect, what a blessing she has been.

I'm still trying to get my head around all of this. It's a lot to take in. But with Sharon, Ashley, Jennifer and my family's support, everything seems a lot less daunting.

No comments: