- It's all about networking and marketing ourselves. Please feel free to tell anyone and everyone you know that you know a loving couple who is looking to adopt a newborn.
- It is legal to advertise in the newspaper (in Virginia) that you are looking to adopt. Most newspapers will need from your social worker or attorney confirming that your home study is complete.
- Get an 800 (or 866) number in order to make it easier for a birth mother to contact you.
- "Dear Birthmother" letters aren't really used anymore.
- It can take 12–24 months to be matched with a newborn baby (domestic adoption).
- Expand your Christmas card list, include a dear friends letter that includes info. about you looking to adopt (yes, friends and family: this does mean you will be hearing from us this holiday season!!!).
- Have business cards made with your contact info on them so if you end up having a conversation with someone about your impending adoption, you can give them a card. You never know who knows who.
- Network, network, network!
- Make sure your ob/gyn knows in the event that one of his/her patients has an unplanned/unwanted pregnancy.
- Announce that you are looking to adopt in your church bulletin (we don't belong to a church, but she suggested we join one, but we feel this is the wrong reason to join a church). If you attend church, please feel free to post info about us looking to adopt :)
- IRS Tax Credit: keep track of your mileage to and from social worker's location and attorney's office, keep track of the money you spend on your profile (ink, paper, printing, etc) it all goes towards your IRS Adoption Tax Credit.
- She asked us if we had any family or friends who would be willing to act as a surrogate, we thought this was and interesting question. We haven't asked anyone but if you are willing, please let us know :)
10 Days Until Forever | Favorite LDS Adoption Book
5 months ago