Friday, November 14, 2008

we survived the home visit

Can I just tell you how glad I am that our home visit is over.

It only lasted 45 minutes, but the 48 hours prior were the worst ever. I got so wound up by the thought of some one coming into my home to judge the way I live. I thought I'd just pass out after she left.

She was only at our house for about 45 minutes. Looked in all the rooms, asked us how we plan to discipline our child (very difficult to think of when the discipline years are still a few years away). We said we'd use the time-out chair in the early years and then withholding luxury items (cell phone, TV, internet, etc) in the later years.

She asked about our religion backgrounds and what values we would instill in our children. She also asked who we would name as guardians if something happened to both of us.

She also asked us if it snows, hmmm, was that home visit related or is she thinking of moving?

This things are all difficult to think of when you child is still hypothetical.

She didn't ask if we had a fire extinguisher. We were disappointed since we bought a new, additional one just for the occasion.

We will have our third and final meeting in December. After that we will get our final home study report.

We meet with our adoption attorney next week. She has asked us to bring a copy of our profile to the meeting. She said she can start searching for a match for us at that point.

Our social worker said it could take 12 to 24 months to find a match.

There was an extra $100 charge to come to our house since we live in the boonies ($50 each way).

I feel like we should have received t-shirts at the end of the meeting that said "I survived my home visit!"

This was quite possibly one of the most stressful days of my life.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep plugging away, Jules. You will make terrific parents. Your enthusiasm and good hearts will come through to the social worker. I know you are serious about this baby. The social worker will know it through your actions, too.

Are you sure there isn't something I can do to help??

:-)

Julie said...

Angie, please keep your eye out for an available newborn for us, or you could win the lottery, either would be appreciated! :) Girl, you are already giving us a stroller and car seat for pete's sake! Your support is all I need, thanks a million!!! :)